This dress I am not as pleased with. It was a well washed vintage pillow case in pale blue with white daisies and purple dots. I should have made a white pan collar and kept it simple. But with the purple dots, I remembered that I had an Angel patch I could use and then I embroidered purple trim. It just doesn’t look as charming as the collar would have. I am certainly not going to pick off all the embroidery!
But the feel of the dress is really nice, I just loved this kind of cotton. I used the opened edge of the pillow case as the bottom hem of her dress, using the full go-around, opening up the one seem on the side and putting it in the back to make a larger opening to dress her in. I used snaps on this dress as my pearl shell buttons are only going on the best dresses. This pattern I drew up is very simple and suits her very well. The 3/4 length sleeves cover to to her vinyl an are snug enough to stay put. Later, after I took these photo’s I removed the Angel patch and left the embroidery. Better, but something is still not right.
It appears that Joanie Claire is much more of an old fashioned girl than I realized. Pants seem all wrong now, as I had put her in them before I started sewing for her and it was causing me to see her short legs as a distortion. Now, with full dresses, her legs are not at all too short or distorted. Her hair being down gives me that delight of seeing her look so Victorianish with the big bow. I had bought small barrettes at the craft store, so I can make permanent bows since I don’t have an iron to periodically straighten out tied ribbons.
I have been looking at the Shirley Temple pattern I bought. I can see that they are too small, which is easy to adjust, but also way too short in the dress length. This pattern is for 13 inch Shirley, but I think maybe the 15 inch pattern would fit better. The thing I have noticed about vintage doll patterns is that they used more seam bindings, facings and rolled hemming and not a lined bodice, which I prefer. Facings are fine for coats and jackets, but in a dress, I think they are more work than just doubling up the bodice pattern pieces and having a nice finish to the dress. On an A line dress, I still create the lining, but let the inside lining become the slip, usually in white with lace at the edge. Anyways, I will be looking more carefully at the Shirley pattern to see what I can enlarge for Joanie and it if will suit her.
I have a few ideas for Joanie, the dress style will probable stay the same for the most part and I will make them different with collars, trims and such. I also think I can change up the looks with pretty pinafores, where I can put some time into hand embroidery. I also think Amish style caps will be perfect for her, and Juliet caps too. I will be looking into patterns for them. I also would love to do some smocking and white work embroidery.
Lastly, I want to make another onsie, this one with snaps around the waist so that I can make a petticoat that can snap on. Her waist is too easily scrunched and I cannot help think how uncomfortable that is! lol.