Just had to show this, she looked so cute. Thank you to Lorraine for the lovely school dress!
My brushes finally arrived so….today I redid her face. I finally invested in a few decent brushes and finally had some very nice oil paints and this time, it not so much of a “make do” with what one has kind of project.
My main concern was that the crumbly look around her eyes did not lend itself to close ups. I don’t mind a wonky paint job as much as the flaky thing that was going on.
Not too bad at this distance,
But this is why I didn’t take close ups. there were simply too many layers of paint and varnish which settled in the crevices.
So here we go….
I removed her wig, loosened the paint with remover. After working with resin faceups, I have to say how much easier it is to keep a portion of something already done which was fabulous. I wanted to keep the teeth, but somehow see if I could soften the harsh lower lip. Other things I wanted to do were to try feathered brows, and repair a few wood issues, lighten us the blackness of the nostrils and tone down a few too light areas.
Using a Qtip and remover, I softened the paint on the lower lip and was able to scrape it away easily.
Same with the eyes, softening, scraping gently, pulling up the gunk in the deep crevice around the eyes.
Husband dear took this photo. He was hoping Rosey was under aesthetic. lol.
I sanded off her brows, her cheek blush, used a toothbrush to brush away the excesses. A bit of wood shaving here and there. Mostly to even up and smooth the wood under the eye. A trick I learned after sanding is to use soft paper to smooth-polish the wood before painting.
Another thing I wanted to do was make her toes more toesie shaped. So with a few knick cuts, I was able to take away the block look and make the toes so sweet!
Look at those sweet things!
Another clean up, cutting away these bits of rough wood. When I first stripped Rosey, I was on home-time from the truck and had precious little time to finish her properly. I could have sanded her better and cleaned up these original rough spots, but just didn’t have the time. Now I do.
Sanding time. I smoothed out a few places, but really wished I had my old Dremel. I would have reshaped a few uneven places, but was not able to.
I used oil paints. What a wonderful way to paint a wooden doll. One can blend and wipe away until it is right. I added a rose blush above her eyes to create warmth, blended the eye whites to antique them, and was able to correct a few flaws.
Here is the almost finish look. She will probably need some touch ups, I am sure I will darken the blush, but this being oil paint, it will need time to dry and set. My aim was to keep her looking as antique as I could, although not particularly Schoenhut style. To make the eyes as antique looking as I could, it meant darkening the crevices until it seemed like there were glass eyes in sockets. Rosey is a dolly face style, so I wanted to keep that integrity. Once I have watched her face for awhile, made any adjustments, I will then seal her face which will take some (but not all) of the uneven mottled look away.
I am now trying all kinds of photo angles, another way I study how she will look, I “see” it better in photographs.
I plopped her wig on, it is not glued down yet.
I am looking at how the lighting hits, the eye placements, the brows, which look much lighter than I thought they would. Remember that her eyeballs are shaped differently and creating the iris and pupil is a challenge. One eye is larger than the other and more almond shaped.
Close up are now possible, the eye is not flaky!
She did not lose her Rosey look (thank goodness). Bangs are not close to her eyes because they still need to dry.
Another thing I fixed, was using the oil paint to disguise some of the light areas from carving. Around her nose and mouth were such areas, and the oil blended well into the wood. I tried to get a hint of eye lashes, and surprisingly my fine brush was not all that fine. Again oil paint was fabulous for being able to scrape away anything I didn’t like. So the thick lines were thinned out, as well as the eyebrows by scraping away excess paint.
So far, I am very pleased, and I can already see that I want to darken the brows, give her rosier cheeks. Her eyes will be glossed and her skin will be a bit more even when I seal her up.