I had been considering options to improve Pernille’s legs. Zwergnase made her as a sitting doll. This gave her a large rump and small curved legs, with gathering in the inside seam to make the legs curl. I was able to use heavy gauge aluminum wire to make braces to sort of straighten her legs to make her stand, but it had to be strapped to her body and was visible of course. Her feet were curved too and made to turn inward, so she had to have her large Zwergnase boots on to stand with the brace.
I had thought of remaking her body from scratch, allowing for some sort of sitting and standing ability. I studied some internet directions for cloth body jointing and suede skin fabric and so on. I set the idea aside until I could find the right stuff for doing it. Then last night I was looking in my closet and saw that Paradise Doll that I had tried to sell on eBay and looked at her legs. They were ball jointed at the hip, the leg swirled inside a cup that has the body fabric clipped inside another cup. I cut around the fabric and removed each whole leg unit from the Paradise Doll. Then came the agonizing decision whether or not to cut off Lilly’s legs as they were. Ack, I thinkI had twelve mini heart attacks, but I calmed myself down. For heavens sake I can always recreate a new body or sew the old legs back on. I have made doll bodies before.
It was still a bit nerve wracking to sew the fabric from the legs to Pernille’s legs, and I had to be careful, I saw the sand was loose inside her torso, so I had to keep a plug of stuffing in the leg hole, making another hole in the middle of the plug as there is a knob at the center of the ball joint that helps keep the socket stable inside the body. I wished I had taken a photo of it, but I was doing late night surgery in my room and the camera was downstairs.
Well I have to say that I was extremely pleased with the results! Pernille can stand, sit and has larger feet that help fit the AG shoes better. The legs are too thin for her body shape and wide apart because of her torso shape, but her original legs were just as thin and her feet were smaller. It does take some manuevering to help her stand, and because her torso is very heavy with sand and her leg placement by Zwergnase is completely forward, Pernille must lean forward to stand. I may be able to correct this by placing the legs further back, but I want to think on it.
I am not going to show the seams just yet, as they are only basted on and I will resew them with stronger thread later. Right now, I want to get a feel for the placement and how I feel about the legs altogether. Here you can see that she does end up with “wide hips”. I would love to find thicker more shapely legs, but I doubt they would have this wonderful ball joint feature. Her height is slightly increased, she is exactly 20 inches tall.
Here her rump is quite pronounced. But compared to her original Legs:
The straight legs give her an older look, less babyish.
The ball joint allows for more movement. Her legs can cross, she can point her toes inward or outward. However, no bending at the knee of course and yet, I am finding a new thrill with her more grown up height and proportions.
Another project I have been working on this week was to remove the deep wine colour paint on her lips and soften it with light pink. As you can see in the photo’s above the difference in lips. I just never cared for “lipstick” lips on young girl companions.
Not the best outfit to show her new legs off with, but I am really pleased and I do believe Pernille (once she gets use to the new sensation) will love being able to walk and stand and get about.
Original sitting legs. This shows how the hip area was set forward.
Now from behind, this is her butt, not tummy: